by Gareth, October 2, 2020
Very serious news here about President Trump testing positive for COVID-19. It is quite a long article but it is breaking news and I thought it was worth trying to read, learn and test your English!
Please click the link below for the article.
Please check out the meaning of the ten words below that might be new for you. I chose them because I think they might be hard for some of our students.
- The president, who downplayed the virus in its early stages..
- under his own power around 6:15 p.m. and sporting a mask —
- notable given the president‘s aversion to wearing one in public and his frequent mockery of his Democratic rival
- Sean Conley, the president’s physician, said in a statement before the trip to Walter Reed that Trump was “fatigued but in good“spirits."
- — and took himself for two weeks as a precautionary measure earlier this year.
- refused to say whether he withheld information about a top aide to the president who also tested positive in recent days.
- a counselor to the president and one his closest aides, had come down with the disease, as well.
- Trump’s immediate predecessor, Barack Obama, wished Trump and the first lady a speedy recovery during a virtual fundraiser for Biden.
- “It’s important, I think, for all of us to remember that even when we’re in the midst of big political battles with issues that have a lot at stake, that we’re all Americans
- Trump had tweeted early Friday that he and the first lady “will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately.” **(verb 'to tweet' not the noun 'tweet')
We hope that he and his wife recover quickly, it is very bad news for them
By the way, we have an exciting campaign running this October, if you are interested.